A Laser Cutter is a fabrication tool that uses a laser beam to cut and engrave materials. It can be used with a variety of materials, including wood, glass, paper, metal, and acrylic. Users can download existing design files or create their own designs to create custom projects. Laser Cutter projects can range from engraving a name on a water bottle to creating an intricate 3D wooden sculpture and much more.
Users of the Laser Cutter must be 18 years old and complete the certification course in order to use it without supervision. Users ages 12-17 may use the Laser Cutter after completing the certification course, but must be supervised by an adult who has also completed the certification course. See our MakerSpace Policy for all the rules governing the use of the MakerSpace equipment.
The certification course includes a video class, an online test, and an in-person safety orientation. See below to start the process!
- First, watch the Laser Cutter Video Class
- Second, take the Laser Cutter Online Test
- Finally, schedule your in-person safety orientation
- You will be required to sign a Use and Release Agreement during your safety orientation.
- You must have an active library card in order for your certification to be complete. If you do not already have a library card, you may sign up for one at the time of your safety orientation. Please bring a photo ID and proof of your current residential address. See our Library Card Policy for acceptable documents.
Once your certification is complete:
- Make reservations for the Laser Cutter at https://norfolk-ne.libcal.com/reserve/makerspace.
- See below for approved materials to use in the Laser Cutter. The library does not provide any of these materials for sale, but they are easily available from local stores or online vendors.
- Need a refresher tutorial or additional help? Schedule an appointment with a MakerSpace Instructor.
Laser Cutter Specs
- Brand: Epilog Helix 24" x 18"
- Power: 40 watt
- Accessories: Cutting Table, Engraving Table, and Rotary Attachment
- Maximum Engraving Area: 24" x 18"
- Maximum Material Thickness: 8.5"
- Maximum Diameter for use with the Rotary Tool: 8"
- Resolution: User controlled from 75-1200 DPI
Other Resources and Helpful Info
- List of Approved and Banned Materials
- Instruction Binder Materials
- User Manual from Epilog
- Epilog YouTube Channel with project tutorials
- Sample downloadable project files from Epilog
- Laser Cutter project files from Thingiverse
- CorelDRAW Tutorials and Learning Center
The Laser Cutter was purchased with funds from the City of Norfolk, a generous donation from the Doherty Foundation, a grant from the Norfolk Area Community Foundation Fund, and donations from the Norfolk Area Big Give.